Larry Douglas Brown
Sidney Kaufman Professor in Geophysics
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Larry D. Brown is the Sidney Kaufman Professor in Geophysics. Brown earned a B.S. in physics from the Georgia Institute of Technology and Ph.D. in geological sciences from Cornell. Brown’s primary research interest is the application of multichannel seismic reflection methods to the exploration of the continental lithosphere. Current research includes deep seismic investigations in China (especially Tibet), Mongolia, Taiwan, the Andes, and the Caribbean (Montserrat), the application of seismic interferometry to seismic body waves, imaging of crustal structure using microearthquakes and 4D seismic monitoring of deep tectonic processes. Brown’s recent interests also include application of ground penetrating radar to archaeology, geotechnical evaluations and volcano stratigraphy. Brown is a fellow of the Geological Society of America and a member of the American Geophysical Union, the Society of Exploration Geophysicists, the Seismological Society of America and the Society of Petroleum Engineering.
geophysics; seismology; ground penetrating radar; geotectonics
- Energy and the Environment
- Energy Systems
- Signal and Image Processing
- Sustainable Energy Systems
- Natural Hazards
- Geophysics and Seismology
- Energy, Mineral and Water Resources
- Tectonics and Structural Geology
EAS 1220 Earthquake! in the Spring. EAS 1220 is the second largest course offered by EAS. Teach EAS 7810 Seismic Reflection Data Processing in the Fall.
- Kim, D. L.D. Brown,K. Árnason, Ó. Gudmundsson, K. Ágústsson, Ó. G. Flóvenz,, 2018, Magma “bright spots” mapped beneath Krafla, Iceland, using rVSP imaging of reflected waves from microearthquakes, Volcanology and Geothermal Res.,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2018.04.022
- Quiros, D.A. L. D. Brown, K. K. Davenport, J. A. Hole, A. Cabolova, C. Chen, L. Han, M. C. Chapman, W. D. Mooney, 2017, Reflection imaging with earthquake sources and dense arrays, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 122, doi:10.1002/2016JB013677.
- Quiros, D.A., L.D. Brown and D. Kim, 2016, Retrieving body waves from train noise with seismic interferometry, Geophys. J. Int, 301-313.
- Gao, R., C. Chen, H. Wang, Z. Lu, L. Brown, S. Dong, S. Feng, Q. Li, W. Li, Z. Wen, and F. Li, 2016, SINOPROBE deep reflection profile reveals a Neo-Proterozoic subduction zone beneath Sichuan Basin, Earth Planet. Sci. Letters, 454, 86-91.
- Brown, Larry Douglas. 2013. “From layer cake to complexity: 50 years of geophysical investigations of the earth.” Geological Society of America. Special Paper 500: The Web of Geological Sciences: Advances, Impacts, and Interactions, edited by P. Bickford, 233-258.
Selected Awards and Honors
- AGU Fellow (2021)
- Friendship Award(State Administration for Foreign Experts of the Peoples Republic of China)2001
- ARCO Outstanding Junior Faculty Award(ARCO)1981
- Fellow(Geological Society of America)1980
- B.S. (Physics), Georgia Institute of Technology, 1973
- Ph.D. (Geological Sciences), Cornell University, 1976