Materials Science and Engineering
My group focuses on studying novel electronic properties and phase transformations of nanoscale materials for device and energy applications. We have three research thrusts: A) nanowires of topological materials for potential quantum computing and low-resistance interconnects, B) two-dimensional (2D) materials for energy and electronic applications, and C) nanoscale effects on the phase transitions of our topological and 2D nanomaterials. My group’s tool box includes 1) various growth methods to synthesize nanomaterials, 2) low-temperature magneto-transport measurements of nanodevices to probe the electronic properties, and 3) in situ transmission electron microscopy (TEM) to directly observe nanoscale phase transformations.
- Introduction to Nanomaterials
- Electronic, Optical, and Magnetic Properties of Materials
- J. V. Pondick, S. Yazdani, M. Yarali, S. N. Reed, D. J. Hynek, J. J. Cha, “The effect of mechanical strain on lithium staging in graphene,” Advanced Electronic Materials (2021) 7, 2000981.
- D. Hynek, R. M. Singhania, S. Xu, B. Davis, L. Wang, M. Yarali, J. V. Pondick, J. M. Woods, N. Strandwitz, J. J. Cha, “Cm2-scale synthesis of MoTe2 thin films with large grains and layer control,” ACS Nano (2021) 15, p.410 – 418.
- Physical Review Letters (2020) 124, 036102.
- P. Liu, J. R. Williams, J. J. Cha, “Topological nanomaterials,” Nature Reviews Materials (2019) 4, p.479 – 496.
- Y. Xie, S. W. Sohn, M. Wang, H. Xin, Y. Jung, M. Shattuck, C. O’Hern, J. Schroers, J. J. Cha, “Cluster-coupled growth in metallic glass forming liquids,” Nature Communications (2019) 10:915.
Selected Awards and Honors
- Moore Foundation EPiQS Materials Synthesis Investigator Award (2019)
- NSF CAREER (2018)
- Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (CIFAR) Azrieli Global Scholar for Quantum Materials (2017)
- Yale Arthur Greer Memorial Prize (2016)
- IBM Faculty Award (2014)
B.S. (Engineering Physics), Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada, 2003
Ph.D. (Applied Physics), Cornell University, 2009