Senior Reflection: Samuel’s Story

The Year It Has Been

Before the Australian bushfires could be quenched, Covid-19 hit the globe. California then caught fire and George Floyd died at the hands of the police. It did not end there. Chadwick Boseman and Ruth Bader Ginsburg then passed away; the first an artist dedicated to his craft; the second, an accomplished Cornellian dedicated to the pursuit of  justice. Over in East Africa, love was lost between Kenya and Somalia while in Myanmar internal conflict and political crisis ensued. The world this past year, as it seems, has been like an infant experiencing endless bouts of colic.

Engineering at Cornell

Cornell Engineering student SamuelWith an interest in studying economics, computer science and civil engineering, I transferred from the College of Arts and Sciences to the College of Engineering. This has proved to be one of the best decisions I have made.  I was able to pursue civil engineering whilst taking extra courses in economics and computer science. I particularly loved concrete classes and lab work at the Bovay Laboratory with professor Hover. I cannot forget Prof. Grigoriu’s structural dynamics and his natural hazards class that focuses on the application of probability theory and statistics in the build world. Some of the highlights of my undergraduate studies have been developing a concrete mix design mobile application and travelling to Kigali, Rwanda, to work on a Transportation Engineering project. For the third time in a row, I will be interning as a Data Engineer at a tech firm based in San Francisco’s Bay Area.

Beyond academics, I have been fortunate to contribute to the Cornell community by serving as a voting member of the Cornell Student Assembly Infrastructure Fund Committee. I also had the chance to be a part of the team that put together the Cornell Africa Development Conference 2020.

Looking Back

Cornell Engineering student SamuelWhen I think about Ithaca, its beautiful sunsets come to mind. I am also reminded of its weather that can sometimes change faster than Maui the demigod can shapeshift. Thinking about Ithaca reminds me of the close friends I have made and all the amazing people I have met. Well, time flies and one thing is for sure, more has been said about coming to this place than it has about leaving it; remember the nostos in Homer’s Odyssey and the journey in Cavafy’s Ithaka. I therefore do not really know what exactly someone should feel…

—Samuel, civil engineering