I am a computer scientist specializing in computer graphics and vision, human-computer interaction (HCI), and a breadth of other topics.
I work on a range of topics in graphics, vision, and HCI, with most of my research focusing on how to apply work in these fields to new problems and application spaces.
- 2020 Zhiqiu Lin, Jin Sun, Abe Davis, and Noah Snavely. Visual chirality. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2015), (Selected for Oral, Best Paper Nominee).
- 2018 Abe Davis and Maneesh Agrawala. Visual rhythm and beat. SIGGRAPH 2018.
- 2017 Mackenzie Leake, Abe Davis, Anh Truong, and Maneesh Agrawala. Computational video editing for dialogue-driven scenes. SIGGRAPH 2017.
- 2017 Abe Davis, Katherine L. Bouman (co-first author), Justin G. Chen, Michael Rubinstein, Oral Buyukozturk, Fredo Durand, and William T. Freeman. Visual vibrometry: Estimating material properties from small motions in video. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI).
- 2017 Abe Davis, Justin G. Chen, Oral Buyukozturk, Frédo Durand, and Doug L. James. Structural health monitoring from the window seat of a passenger airplane. 11th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (IWSHM 2017).
- 2016 Neal Wadhwa, Hao-Yu Wu, Abe Davis, Michael Rubinstein, Eugene Shih, Gautham J. Mysore, Justin G. Chen, Oral Buyukozturk, John V. Guttag, William T. Freeman, and Frédo Durand. Eulerian video magnification and analysis. Communications of the ACM.
- 2016 Lukas Murmann, Abe Davis, Jan Kautz, and Frédo Durand. Computational bounce flash for indoor portraits. SIGGRAPH Asia 2016.
- 2016 Abe Davis. Visual Vibration Analysis. PhD thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sep 2016, *MIT Sprowls Award | *Runner-up, SIGGRAPH Dissertation Award*.
- 2016 Oral Buyukozturk, Justin G Chen, Neal Wadhwa, Abe Davis, Frédo Durand, and William T Freeman. Smaller than the eye can see: Vibration analysis with video cameras. 19th World Conference on Non-Destructive Testing (WCNDT 2016).
- 2015 Abe Davis, Justin G. Chen, and Frédo Durand. Image-space modal bases for plausible manipulation of objects in video. SIGGRAPH Asia 2015.
- 2015 Abe Davis, Katherine L. Bouman (co-first author), Justin G. Chen, Michael Rubinstein, Fredo Durand, and William T. Freeman. Visual vibrometry: Estimating material properties from small motion in video. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2015), (Selected for Oral Presentation).
- 2015 Justin G Chen, Neal Wadhwa, Abe Davis, Frédo Freeman Durand, T William, and Oral Buyukozturk. Long distance video camera measurements of structures. 10th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (IWSHM 2015).
- 2015 Justin G Chen, Abe Davis, Neal Wadhwa, Frédo Durand, William T. Freeman, and Oral Buyukozturk. Video camera-based vibration measurement for condition assessment of civil infrastructure. International Symposium Non-Destructive Testing in Civil Engineering (NDT-CE 2015).
- 2014 Lixin Shi, Haitham Hassanieh, Abe Davis, Dina Katabi, and Fredo Durand. Light field reconstruction using sparsity in the continuous fourier domain. ACM TOG | SIGGRAPH 2015.
- 2014 Abe Davis, Michael Rubinstein, Neal Wadhwa, Gautham J. Mysore, Frédo Durand, and William T. Freeman. The visual microphone: Passive recovery of sound from video. SIGGRAPH 2014.
- 2013 Abe Davis. Unstructured light fields. Master’s thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sep 2013.
- 2012 YiChang Shih, Abe Davis, Samuel W. Hasinoff, Frédo Durand, and William T. Freeman. Laser speckle photography for surface tampering detection. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2012), *Google Student Travel Award*.
- 2012 Abe Davis, Marc Levoy, and Fredo Durand. Unstructured light fields. Computer Graphics Forum | Eurographics 2012.
- 2010 Andrew Adams, Jongmin Baek, and Abe Davis. Fast high-dimensional filtering using the permutohedral lattice. Computer Graphics Forum | Eurographics 2010.
Selected Awards and Honors
- 2018 Brown Institute for Innovation in Media Magic Grant for “Paraframe”.
- 2017 ACM SIGGRAPH Dissertation Award, (Runner-up). 2017 Brown Institute for Innovation in Media Magic Grant for “Visual Beat”.
- 2017 IWSHM 2017 Structural Health Monitoring in Action Award.
- 2016 George M. Sprowls Award for Best PhD Thesis in Computer Science at MIT.
- 2016 MIT 100K Pitch Competition, (Finalist).
- 2016 Forbes “30 under 30”.
- 2016 Business Insider “The 8 most innovative scientists in tech and engineering”.
- 2011 NSF Graduate Reasearch Fellow.
- 2011 Mathworks Fellow.
- 2011 Optical Society of America Color Constancy Competition, (3rd Place).
- 2010 Eurographics 2010, Second Best Paper.
- 2009 Stanford CS348B Annual Rendering Competition, (Grand Prize). *Featured in the textbook Physically Based Rendering: From Theory to Implementation
- 2006 Intel Science Talent Search, (7th Place).
- 2020-Present Assistant Professor, Cornell University Department of Computer Science.
- 2019-2020 Postdoc, Cornell Tech.
- 2016-2019 Postdoc, Stanford University.
- 2010-2016 PhD, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- 2010–2012 MS, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- 2006–2010 BS, Computer Science, Stanford University, (with honors).